Friday, November 6, 2015

Handmade Holiday Blog Hop

I am starting to get so excited for the holidays.  My son started a new job and I am going to give this to him to give to the test track car drivers who work with him.  I had such fun creating it and embellishing it with The Twinery twine.
For this project you will need approximately six bags of fun size candy.  You will need to purchase a clay pot, a round Styrofoam ball and a tree shape, some acrylic paints to paint your pot, a 1/4" wooden dowel and a glue gun with extra glue sticks to adhere all that yummy chocolate.  I used six different colors of The Twinery twine on my project and just love how festive it came out.  You can see the colors below.
You are going to want to paint your pot and then glue the round styrofoam ball into the pot.  This will help it be more stable.  The candy weighs a lot when the tree is full.  I took the dowel and cut it down to the right size.  I pushed the bottom of the dowel up into the tree until I felt it was high enough to be secure.  I then made a hole in the ball in the pot and pushed the dowel into the ball.  I did put some hot glue around both openings in the ball  and at the bottom of the tree for added stability.
You are going to start the fun part now with hot gluing the chocolate onto the tree.  I used the top flap of the candy bar to put my glue and held it in place until it was set.  I used high temp on my glue gun to make sure it would adhere well but was careful not to melt the chocolate.
Image of Solid Maraschino Twine Spool Image of Maraschino - Red & White Baker's TwineImage of Peapod - Green & White Baker's TwineImage of Solid Peapod Twine SpoolImage of Red Shimmer & Natural Twine SpoolImage of Green Shimmer & Natural Twine Spool

Here is the tree all decorated.  I used ribbon stiffener to wet the twine and then wrapped it around a round kitchen tool.  I let it sit overnight and pulled it off into this lovely spiral the next day.  I used some fun Doodlebug Sugarplum stickers to embellish my tree further.  Thanks for looking and happy holidays.
Hugs,






7 comments:

Nadinebd said...

what a great idea! Thank you for the good instructions.

Maria said...

beautiful work. Love how the twine came out

Laura S Reading said...

This would be a fantastic idea any time of year!
Will also make a good fundraiser project.

TracyM #6773 said...

FUN & FABULOUS, CUTE & TASTY tree Anita :)
LOVE IT!!!
I remember making a similar, much less sturdy one using a cone of cardstock & double-sided tape many years ago - your version is much more STURDY with the foam tree base and CHEERY twine curls
=> THANK YOU for the CREATIVE INSPIRATION - I will definitely be making one of these!!!

tallulah1 said...

This is a great idea for the office !! Thanks for sharing!

smokeysmom said...

This is a great way to use up all that left over Halloween candy! Such a cute project, too. Love it!

Diana S said...

That is such a cute idea! it would work for any party or holiday!